Friday, June 19, 2020

Church is Not the Building


I was sent an article the other day, which you can read here. The story has been making its way around the internet quite quickly. My Facebook feed has been flooded with people sharing the link.

I understand the need to separate church and state, and I never thought I would agree with our current Premier on anything, but I am saddened to hear that churches in the province are arguing that the Pallister government is interfering with their religious rights. It is simply ludicrous.

This pandemic has completely up-heaved our lives. We have been isolated from friends and family. Stores and businesses have shut down affecting the livelihood of many business owners, especially the small family-owned stores. Schools have closed their doors so students of all ages have had to finish their year learning in solitude, save for those with siblings (which really isn't the same as being with your friends), and various grade levels have had to miss out on the ever important life-event of graduation.

We long for coffee dates with friends, meetings that don't involve Zoom, visiting loved ones in care homes and hospitals, and simple things like hugs. And how many of us miss seeing the random smiles on passersby that are now hidden behind masks? I know I do.

Not even going into the discussion of front-line workers who have been risking their lives since day one, these last few months have not been easy. Our lives have been disrupted, we don't know when the pandemic will end, and we don't know what the future will look like.

But, as Winnipeggers, we have done well, it seems. The virus has not affected us in ways that we have seen elsewhere in the world. While I have no scientific proof to back my claim, I truly believe the reason is because we have followed the regulations that have been set out by health officials and the government.

As the Pallister government has begun to relax the regulations over the last few weeks, I have been tentatively watching the effect on the public. Personally, I am nervous at the speed at which people are rushing back to the malls and the restaurants. However, for the most part, I have seen many patrons respect the rules of distancing and wearing masks.

As an Anglican minister, I contemplate these openings, the statements made by my Bishop, and observe my fellow clergy as we all begin to discern the safest way to re-enter our church buildings.

Let me be clear, while the doors to the church buildings have been closed, worship has not ceased. Many of us have hurried to learn technology and have leaned on those experienced in providing live or recorded worship in order to maintain some form of weekly worship for our congregations. Church is not the building. Church is wherever you are at that moment, whether it be in your car, in your home, or sitting outside enjoying nature.

Scrolling Facebook on a Sunday morning, you can't help but see all of the parishes that are providing live or recorded video feed or written services that can be used by anyone, at any time, in any place.

Church is not the building. While we all long to be together again, to worship in community, it is simply not yet safe to do so. It is better to worship together apart than to worship together in person and risk someone, or everyone, getting sick. Even with taking all of the best possible precautions, you just never know what might happen. Remember what happened in Calgary? If not, click here for the article.

As the province has opened up, the statement seems to be clear amongst my fellow clergy: we will take things slow, we will follow the rules, we will help our people worship at home, and we will keep people safe.

I state again that the church is not the building. Worship continues and no one has removed our right to practice our religion.

The pandemic will not last forever and we can already start being together in small groups. We need to keep up our diligence.

As Pallister states, "have a little faith."

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Rev. Theo!!
    I have always believed that Church is not the building but the people who worship together wherever they are. Can we please send this to our email list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can do that. I will include this with my service blog which I will send out shortly.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this letter. I very much think that we should wait till at least Sept. Both my husband and myself figure that we don't have a chance if we get it. It is a scary thought to not be in control because someone might sneeze and that could kill us. I am not scared of dying , although I would like to outlive my husband because he needs me so much. But that is in God's hands.
    Again , thanks for this letter and the link to the Calgary get together.
    Sincerely
    Jan Hartog
    Selkirk Evangelical

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. While a service here and there are being considered for the summer (outdoors, bigger buildings), September feels like a comfortable month for new beginnings. It will all depend on how we fair as a population through the summer.

      Delete