Friday, March 18, 2022

Silent Witness - The Nail

Silent Witness - The Nail

The Gathering

Opening Hymn - Hallelujah

                        Listen Here

Leader: In many and various ways God spoke of old to our fathers by the prophets,

All:         but in these last days he has spoken to us by a Son.

    Christ the Life of all the Living,

                Christ, the death of death our foe,

                Christ, yourself for me once giving

                To the darkest depths of woe:

                Through your suff’ring, death and merit

                Life eternal I inherit.

                Thousand, thousand thanks are due,

                Dearest Jesus, unto you.

Leader: No one has ever seen God

All:         The only Son, who is in the bosom of the father, he has made God known.

Leader: The Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth.

All:         We have beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the father.

Leader: Therefore we must pay close attention to what we have heard.

All          It was declared at the first by the Lord, and it was attested to us by those who heard him

Leader  While God himself also bore witness by signs and wonders and various miracles

All          and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his own will

Leader  Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight and sin which clings so closely,

All          and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us

Leader: Looking unto Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith

All          For the joy that was set before him, he endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God

             Lord, you suffered great affliction

And you bore it patiently,

Even death by crucifixion,

Fully to atone for me.

Thus you chose to be tormented

That my doom should be prevented

Thousand, thousand thanks are due,

Dearest Jesus, unto you

Leader  These are my words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the law of Moses and the prophets and the psalms must be fulfilled

All:         We are witnesses to these things, and so is the Holy Spirit whom God has given to those who obey him

Leader  When we cry ``Abba Father,`` it is the Spirit himself bearing witness with our spirit that we are the children of God

All          and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ

Leader  This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached throughout the whole world, as a testimony all nations.

All          We are witnesses to these things and so is the Holy Spirit whom God has given to those who obey him

Leader  You shall receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you and you shall be my witnesses.

All          We are witnesses to all that he did.  They put him to death by hanging him on a tree:

Leader  but God raised him up on the third day and made him manifest,

All          not to all people, but to us who were chosen by God as witnesses.

Christ, the faithful Witness, sharing

Living words from God above:

Christ, yourself the Word declaring

All the wonders of God`s love:

Let your Word, rich fruit now bearing,

Be the seed of my declaring.

Grant, O Lord, that I may too

Faithful witness bear for you

Prayer of the day

Almighty and everlasting God – we find in you the deepest love that we can imagine.  From you comes the water that wells up to eternal life.  You watch over and protect your people.  As we come before you this day help us to let go of all our fears and our worries and to take upon ourselves the mind that you want us to have.  Grant that our prayer may rise to thee.  Lead us God, and by your grace, we shall follow and praise your name both now and forevermore.  Amen.

A reading from the Book of Isaiah 53:4-6

Surely he has borne our infirmities
    and carried our diseases;
yet we accounted him stricken,
    struck down by God, and afflicted.
But he was wounded for our transgressions,
    crushed for our iniquities;
upon him was the punishment that made us whole,
    and by his bruises we are healed.
All we like sheep have gone astray;
    we have all turned to our own way,
and the Lord has laid on him
    the iniquity of us all.

The word of the Lord
Thanks be to God.

Psalmody from Psalm 22

Leader: God cancelled the record of our debts by nailing it to the cross.

All:         O Lord, don’t stay away from me!  Come quickly to my rescue!  Save me form the sword; form these dogs.  Rescue me from these lions; I am helpless before these wild bulls.

Leader: God cancelled the record of our debts by nailing it to the cross.

All:         All my bones can be seen.  My enemies look at me and stare.  They gamble for my clothes and divide them among themselves.

Leader: God cancelled the record of our debts by nailing it to the cross.

All:         A gang of evil men is around me; like a pack of dogs they close in on me; they pierced my hands and my feet.

Leader: God cancelled the record of our debts by nailing it to the cross.

A reading from the First Letter of Peter 4:12-19

Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that is taking place among you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you are sharing Christ’s sufferings, so that you may also be glad and shout for joy when his glory is revealed. If you are reviled for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the spirit of glory, which is the Spirit of God, is resting on you. But let none of you suffer as a murderer, a thief, a criminal, or even as a mischief maker. Yet if any of you suffers as a Christian, do not consider it a disgrace, but glorify God because you bear this name. For the time has come for judgment to begin with the household of God; if it begins with us, what will be the end for those who do not obey the gospel of God? And

“If it is hard for the righteous to be saved,

    what will become of the ungodly and the sinners?”

Therefore, let those suffering in accordance with God’s will entrust themselves to a faithful Creator, while continuing to do good.

The word of the Lord
Thanks be to God.

Theme Hymn - Were You There (ELW #353)

                        Listen Here

Silent Witness…what testimony would be given if things could speak?

The Nail

**This sermon is a dialogue between two persons and is from the “Silent Witness” series.**

Excuse me! I wonder if you could give me just a few minutes of your time. (Here I go again. First I was talking with a thorn, then a robe; now I’m trying to talk to an old nail. But that is the assignment.) Excuse me. I understand that you witnessed some unusual happenings concerning the one they call Jesus of Nazareth; Is that true? Would you mind telling us your impressions of what tool place? Just relax, and tell the people what you recall.

It wasn’t easy, becoming me.

How do you mean?

Oh, to you I’m just a nail. But I started out as a bunch of dust pressed into a rock and held together by a common bond. There was a lot of heat applied until I melted. Then I was poured into a mold – that’s how I got my shape.

That’s a rather exciting background. Its beginning is almost as old as time itself; and then it involves a lot of human ingenuity: mining and smelting and molding and shaping…

After all of that, we nails just get piled up with others of our kind in a box or barrel. Then we wait…and wait and wait…until someone needs us.

Now you’re making it sound kind of boring.

Being a nail can be very boring. All of that waiting until I’m needed. Waiting until someone picks me from all the rest. Even then, when I’m finally used, I’ll just stay where I am for as long as I last, holding two pieces of wood together. Booooooring! But don’t be fooled. Nails dream dreams too, exciting dreams.

Dreams?

I had hoped to be used in some important way. Maybe I’d be in on the construction of a fine building, maybe even a palace or at least a monument of some sort…or more likely a cow stall. Did you realize that nails aren’t well respected?

No, I guess I‘d never thought about it.

Let’s face it, we’re cold and hard, especially hard-headed when we’re doing our job. People bad-mouth us by saying that someone is “as hard as nails.” (I’m not sure if that’s an insult or a compliment, now that I think about it.) They talk about being so angry that they could “spit nails!” (Now that’s just plain disgusting!) I guess I can’t blame them, though. It’s awkward to admit that in order to be useful I have to be hit on the head by a hammer. (I guess some people are like that too; you need to get their attention or motivate them to be what they’re intended to be.) But that’s enough about me. You want to hear about what I witnessed that awesome day…or was it an awful day?

If you don’t mind. We really would like to hear about that unusual day…from your vantage point.

Well, I was just resting on the pile with the other nails when a soldier came over and reached into the box and grabbed three of us. He wasn’t particular which ones of us he grabbed; see, I’m not special – any nail could have done it. But my hopes were high for a few moments. I thought I was going to finally be used in an important way.

Important?

After all, it was a government official who needed me and my two associates.

I see.

My dream was shattered quickly, though. As soon as my head was out of the box, I could see that there was a horrible event taking place. It was what they called a crucifixion, a legal killing of criminals. I guessed that they needed us to hold a cross together.

I imagine you were a bit disappointed.

I was crushed. I was a broken nail; all of my hopes seemed shattered. Being part of a crucifixion wasn’t the worst of it, though.

Oh?

It got even worse than I could have imagined. I found out that I wasn’t going to hold two pieces of wood together to form a cross. No, I was to hold a human being to the cross! That’s how it was done, you see: the criminals were nailed to the cross. I heard the crowd shouting and yelling. “Crucify him,” they yelled. Some cried and screamed, “He’s guilty of no crime! He’s innocent! You can’t kill an innocent man!” That really made me feel uneasy. What if he was innocent? I’d be helping injustice to be done! That thought caused my whole being to feel as though it could crumble into a pile of rust and turn to dust again.

That must have been frightening. Tell us more.

The time came all too soon. I had complained about not being used for years, remember, and now I’m complaining about being used too soon! Anyway, a soldier came and picked me up roughly in his hand. He carried me over to a cross lying on the ground. There was a man lying on the cross, his arms outstretched, his eyes looking up into the sky. He didn’t look like a criminal. “What if he really was innocent?” I thought. Before I could think twice, my point was pushed against the palm of the man’s hand. That was a most peculiar moment.

Can you tell us how you felt right then – I mean, realizing that instead of being pounded into wood, as nails usually are, you were about to be pounded into human flesh?

It’s hard to explain what I felt, and it’s probably even harder to believe.

Please try, anyway.

When my point touched his open hand (I thought that was odd: his hand was wide open, as if it was inviting a nail to hold it to the cross – it wasn’t clenched in ager; it was open and relaxed)…Well, as I started to say, when I touched his hand, some peculiar feelings went through me. For one thing, I felt as though this hand had enough power in it to resist any nail if it wanted to. There seemed to be strength beyond description, strength that could cause me to bend in submission if that’s what he wanted to do. In addition to that strength, there was a softness – not weakness, mind you; I do know the difference – a softness which felt to me as though it must be what human beings call “love.” There was a warmth there, almost as invitation to touch him, and even to be driven through his hand into the rough wood of the cross.

Strength...and softness.

That was odd enough. But there was something else. My eyes aren’t very good, you see (sure, we nails use our heads, but we aren’t known for good eyesight)…Anyway, I didn’t recognize the man lying there, and yet there was something familiar about him.

Familiar?

I couldn’t place it at first. Then, it hit me (no pun intended). This hand felt very much like one I had felt before. You see, years ago I was in the nail box of a carpenter – that’s right, waiting to be used by him. Well, his son, who worked with him and seemed to be learning the trade, reached into the box one day and pulled me out. Just as he was about to strike me with the hammer, someone acme up to him and told him news about a prophet – John Somebody – who was baptizing people nearby. The carpenter’s son put me back in the box and said something very confusing.

Confusing?

He said, “It’s time to be about my Father’s business.” Then he left the shop and headed out toward the wilderness.

And you found that confusing?

Why would he say he was going to be about his father’s business and then leave his father’s shop – his business – and head across country? Oh, how should I know? I’m just a nail with a hard head and no brain.

Can we get back to the story?

Back to that horrible day, poised over that open hand at the cross. To make a long story short…(Actually, the story is short, only about three hours long; but it seemed like years at the time)…

As you started to say…

As I started to say, just then a heavy hammer struck me on the head, and drove me into that warm, open, powerfully soft hand. I broke no bones as I passed through (that seemed unusual too, but hasn’t this whole incident been very unusual?) I held him to the cross through the whole ordeal, until his body was removed. He died quickly, and that was it.

Well, what happened then? I mean, we know what happened to him, but what happened to you? Your story can’t end there.

I was pulled from the cross and from his lifeless hand and tossed aside.

That’s all? That’s it?

The weather and time are taking their toll on me. I don’t mind. I began as dust and I’m returning to dust. That makes me content. The best news is that it isn’t my fault that that loving, innocent man was held to the cross. In fact, it’s your fault! Your sins nailed him there…but it was his love for you that kept him there. And the result is that now he promises that even though you came from dust too, and will return to dust also, you have the promise of eternal life with him in a place where there are no crucifixions, no inhumane acts of hatred and injustice, only the warmth that I felt briefly twice in my life. I knew he was filled with love and power; I felt it. But aren’t you glad he let his love (and me) hold him to the cross?...Well, that’s the way I witness what happened that day. I’ll never forget it. By the way, I hope you won’t need to be hit on the head with a heavy hammer in order to be used by him or motivated to remember this event. After all, it all happened for you. And if you think he did it because he loves you…

Yes?

Well, you’ve hit the nail right on the head!

Thank you. Thank you for telling us what you witnessed at that awesome event. How blessed you were to tough the hand of Jesus!

How blessed you are that he has touched your hearts!

Hymn - Saviour when in Dust to You (ELW #601)

                        Listen Here

Apostles’ Creed

Let us confess the faith of our baptism, as we say the Apostles’ Creed:

I believe in God, the Father almighty,

creator of heaven and earth.

I believe in Jesus Christ, God’s only Son, our Lord,

who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,

born of the virgin Mary,

suffered under Pontius Pilate,

was crucified, died, and was buried;

he descended to the dead.*

On the third day he rose again;

he ascended into heaven,

he is seated at the right hand of the Father,

and he will come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit,

the holy catholic church,

the communion of saints,

the forgiveness of sins,

the resurrection of the body,

and the life everlasting. Amen.

Prayer

Leader: Lord Jesus, we are hard headed creatures, eager for recognition and determined to have our own way.

All:         We confess that by our won hard headedness we are at fault.  We well deserve the hammer blows of everlasting wrath, for it is we who nailed you to the cross.

Leader: But it was your strong love for us that held you there.  By that strong love forgive our sins, we pray

All:         Remove from us all that is hard and bitter, all that would hurt and pierce and injure.

Leader: By the power of your Holy Spirit mold us anew into your own image

All:         Fill us with your own love.

Leader  And send us then to be about our Father’s business, content with the tasks You have set before us, however commonplace they seem,

All:         but striving always, even so, to be devoted instruments by which you bind together all that has been torn apart.

Leader: So make us faithful witnesses

All:         that we and all your children everywhere may be united in proclaiming  your abiding, soul-reviving, never ending love.

Leader: All this we pray in your dear name, and as you, O Lord, have taught us to

Lord’s Prayer

Our Father in heaven,

hallowed be your name,

your kingdom come,

your will be done,

on earth as in heaven.

Give us today our daily bread.

Forgive us our sins

as we forgive those

who sin against us.

Save us from the time of trial

and deliver us from evil.

For the kingdom, the power,

and the glory are yours,

now and forever. Amen.


Offering Hymn - Lenten Lands by Steve Bell

                        Listen Here

The Great Thanksgiving

The Invitation

He was always the guest.  In the homes of Peter and Jarius, Martha and Mary, Joanna and Susanna, he was always the guest.

At the meal tables of the wealthy where he pled the case of the poor, he was always the guest.

Upsetting polite company, befriending isolated people, welcoming the stranger, he was always the guest.

But here, at this table, he is the host.

Those who wish to serve him must first be served by him, those who want to follow him must first be fed by him, those who would wash his feet must first let him make them clean.

For this is the table where God intends us to be nourished; this is the time when Christ can make us new.

So come, you  who hunger and thirst for a deeper faith, for a better life, for a fairer world.

Jesus Christ who has sat at our tables, now invites us to be guests at his table.

Hymn – Eat This Bread (ELW #472)

                        Listen Here 

The Story

What we do here, we do in imitation of what Christ did.  To his followers in every age Jesus gave us an example and command rooted in the experience he shared with his disciples in an upstairs room in Jerusalem.

Reader:

On the night on which we he was betrayed, and as they were sitting at a meal, Jesus took a piece of bread and broke it.  He gave it to his disciples saying, “This is my body.  It is broken for you.  Do this to remember me.”  Later, after they had eaten, he took a cup of wine and said, “This cup is the new relationship with God made possible because of my death.  Drink this all of you, to remember me.”

Presider:

So, now we do as Jesus did.  We take this bread and this wine, the produce of the earth and fruit of human labour.

In these, Jesus has promised to be present; through these, Christ can make us whole.

Eucharistic Prayer

Presider               Let us Pray

                                The Lord be with you

All                          And also with you

Presider               Lift  up your hearts.

All                          We lift them to the Lord

Presider               Let us give thanks to the Lord our God

All                          It is right to give our thanks and praise

Presider               It is indeed right, for you made us, and before us, you made the world we inhabit, and before the world, you made the eternal home in which, through Christ, we have a place.

                                All that is spectacular, all that is plain have their origin in you; all that is lovely, all who are loving point to you as their fulfillment.

                                And grateful as we are for the world we know and the universe beyond our knowing, we particularly praise you, whom eternity cannot contain, for coming to earth and entering time in Jesus.

                                For his life which informs our living, for his compassion which changes our hearts, for his clear speaking which contradicts our harmless generalities, for his disturbing presence, his innocent suffering, his fearless dying, his rising to life breathing forgiveness. We praise you and we worship him.

                                Here too our gratitude rises for the promise of the Holy Spirit, who even yet, even now, confronts us with your claims and attracts us to your goodness.

                                Therefore we gladly join our voices to the son of the church on earth and in heaven:

Sanctus                Holy, Holy, Holy Lord, God of power and might, Heaven and earth are full of your glory.  Hosanna in the highest

Benedictus         Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.   Hosanna in the highest

Presider               And now, lest we believe that our praise alone fulfils your purpose we fall silent and remember him who came because words weren’t enough.

                                Setting our wisdom, our will, our words aside, emptying our hearts, and bringing nothing in our hands, we yearn for the healing, the holding, the accepting, the forgiving which Christ alone can offer

Silence

Merciful God, send now, in kindness, your Holy Spirit to settle on this bread and wine and fill them with the fullness of Jesus.

And let that same Spirit rest on us, converting us from the patterns of this passing world, until we conform to the shape of him whose food we now share.  Amen

Fraction               (Taking and breaking bread)

Among friends gathered around a table, Jesus took bread, and broke it, and said, “This is my body – broken for you.”

(Holding up a cup of wine)

Later he took a cup of wine and said “This is the new relationship with God made possible because of my death.  Take it, all of you, to remember me.”

Jesus , firstborn of Mary

All                          Have mercy on us

                                Jesus Saviour of the world

All                          Have mercy on us

                                Jesus, monarch of heaven

All                          Have mercy on us

He who has suffered for our injustices is now present in this bread.   He whose body was hung on a cross is now offered to us in this cup.

So take this bread and this wine.  In them God comes to us so that we may come to God.

The sharing of the bread and the wine

The Peace

Leader:                 Please Stand

                                Christ who has nourished us, is our peace.

Strangers and friends, male and female, old and young, he has broken down the barriers to bind us to him and to each other.  Having tasted his goodness, let us share his peace. 

The peace of the Lord be always with you.

All                          And Also with you

Concluding Prayer

Leader                  Let us pray

In gratitude, in deep gratitude for this moment, this meal, these people, we give ourselves to you. Take us out to live as changed people because we have shared the Living Bread and cannot remain the same.

Ask much of us, expect much from us, enable much by us, encourage many through us.

So, Lord, may we live to your glory, both as inhabitants of earth and citizens of the commonwealth of heaven.  Amen 

Closing Blessing

As we go now from this moment,

as we leave behind our time together.

May we walk with one another,

may we help each other on the way.

 

As we go now from this moment,

as we go into the future together.

May we treasure one another,

may we realize how precious we are.

May we realize how precious we are.

May we realize how precious we are.


Sending Hymn - Jesus Keep Me Near the Cross (ELW #335)

                        Listen Here

No comments:

Post a Comment