Monday, May 16, 2022

A Review of the Book "A Knock on the Door" compiled by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada


Title: A Knock on the Door
Author: Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada
Publisher: University of Manitoba Press
Year: 2016
194 pages

This book is an absolute must-read. I will admit that it took me a while to read it, but that was because I had to take many pauses as my emotions got the better of me.

The Truth and Reconciliation Commission has put together a quite extensive look at residentials schools, gathering material from the TRC reports and from individual interviews.

Covering topics such as the history of the schools, telling personal experiences of the schools, and talking about the legacy these school have left, Knock on the Door gives detailed insight into the attempted destruction of Indigenous people and culture.

I do not recommend reading this all in one sitting. There is too much to take in, too much to absorb. I am truly flabbergasted at Canada's history and the fact that I have learned this all so late in life.

No matter how difficult this topic is, having a resource such as this from which to learn is a gift and I am glad that I took the time to work my way through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment