Tuesday, April 25, 2023

A Review of the Book "Next in Line" by Jeffrey Archer


Title: Next in Line
Author: Jeffrey Archer
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers Inc
Year: 2022
400 pages

The tagline to "Next in Line", as well as the summary on the back of the book, led me to believe this was going to be an easy and exciting read. Something to give me a break from the heavy theological and religious texts that have been on my reading list so far this year.

I was sorely disappointed.

It is possible that I simply don't like this style of writing - your run-of-the-mill mystery novel. Or it could be that it is the fifth book with these characters and I haven't read any of the others. But this book neither lived up to my expectations nor had anything to do with its tagline. Or it barely did anyway.

I was expecting a more thriller-type action-packed novel where the main goal was to protect the Princess of Wales. What I got a boring story about rich people stealing art from each other. With a small side story about Princess Diana being held captive for five minutes.

It took me forever to get through this book, is going straight to the free library down the street, and it has deterred me from reading any more of Archer's works.

Nothing wrong with the writing overall, so if you're an Archer fan then you'd probably like it. But it just wasn't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment