Tuesday, June 13, 2023

A Review of the Book "Once Upon a Dream" by Liz Braswell


Title: Once Upon a Dream
Author: Liz Braswell
Publisher: Disney Press
Year: 2017
440 pages

This is the second book from Braswell's series that I have read. I will admit that I enjoyed this one much more than I did "A Whole New World" as the story caught my attention way earlier in the book and there were a couple of unexpected twists and turns.

"Once Upon a Dream" is based on the story of Sleeping Beauty but in this version, they had to fight much harder for their happy ending. At first, I thought it was leaning towards the story that was portrayed in the movie Maleficent, but it went even further than that.

What was quite intriguing about this story was the amount of times that Braswell concentrated on the strength of the female lead. Princess Aurora wasn't your typical needs-to-be-saved-by-a-prince princess, The main character in this book was strong-willed and knew how to take care of herself. It was a very different portrayal than you would see in the Disney cartoon.

After having read a few heavier books, "Once Upon a Dream" was the light-hearted story that I was looking for, and needed. And it was just unpredictable enough to keep you wondering. I give this book my full recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment