Thursday, September 19, 2024

A Review of the Book "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman


Title: Good Omens
Author: Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
Publisher: Transworld Publishers
Year: 1990
382 pages

From the Back: According to the Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter - the world's only totally reliable guide to the future - the world will end on a Saturday, Next Saturday in fact, just after tea.

Personal Thoughts: As a lover of science fiction, this book has been recommended to me by a multitude of people. I found it one day in a Little Library and has been sitting in my to-be-read pile for a couple of years. During this time of trying to read my height in books, I figured there is no better time to finally pick this one up off the shelf.
    What a fun story! The book is written satirically with the Book of Revelation loosely in mind, but instead of Heaven and Hell at war, angels and demons cooperatively ensure that the world goes on turning. One day, the anti-Christ is born but gets switched up in the hospital and the guardians of Earth lose him. Knowing the exact day the world was going to end, thanks to Agnes Nutter, there is a rush to find the lost child and be present at his destined moment. However, the boy has other plans in mind...
    Good Omens is a laughter-filled adventure of the end times. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the amount of comedy within the pages was incredible. Perhaps it's my background in theological studies that made it so funny, I'm not sure. Hopefully readers of Good Omens will chime in and let me know.
    I very much enjoyed the style of writing and would love to explore more of Pratchett and Gaiman's publications.

No comments:

Post a Comment