Thursday, April 16, 2020

Is this the new normal?

In Matthew 18:20, Christ tell us that “for where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.”
But what happens when those two or three can not gather together? Does that mean that Jesus, and therefore God, is not among them?
As the COVID-19 pandemic marches on, there is a growing feeling of loneliness and isolation as communities are not able to worship together, a feeling of loss as prayers and hymns are brought to silence and the Eucharist tabled until further notice (pun intended).
Debates are happening around virtual Eucharist and discussions about what “real church” looks like now that we are worshiping online, at home but also “together”.
All the while, what seemed to be dying breeds – church-goers, God-believers, evangelists – are growing exponentially. As more churches move to online worship services, church attendance is electronically growing.
In my opinion, virtual church might, and should, become part of the new normal.
The younger, tech-savvy generation, whom we have struggled to get in a pew on a Sunday morning, are listening online when and where they want to,
The aging generation who can no longer attend worship services in person due to health and mobility issues, are now able to tune in via YouTube, Facebook, and Twitch.
Those who may be searching for a place to worship but whose social and general anxiety won't allow them to step through the door of a place full of strangers are, through the joys of technology, able to church-surf without the pressure of going from place to place.
Those who have been harmed by the church but yet long for connection with God can do so from the safety and comfort of their homes.
So do the empty church buildings mean that Christianity is coming to a halt, that Jesus is no longer present in our lives?
Or does the increasing number of online viewers indicate a new way of evangelizing and a growing need for faith and spirituality in a world suffering together?

While reports were showing that physical presence in church was becoming less important, I see no proof that God and faith are going the same way. In fact, what has become evident during this time of isolation is the revelation that the search for faith and spirituality increases significantly during times of duress.

We will always need physical worship spaces, as being a part of a church community is important for its own reasons. But it's time that we start looking outside of the box, or in this case outside the walls, and realize that our community need not be limited to those who are sitting in the pews.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts about the movement of church into the virtual world and how you think church will like like post-pandemic isolation.

Stay safe. Stay healthy. Stay strong.

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I love technology and as long as it doesn’t totally replace traditional worship I am good with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it will ever replace traditional worship. My belief is that Eucharist is meant to be celebrated in person. However, technology will allow us to reach out to more people, whether out of convenience or necessity.

      Delete
  2. And here I am reading April 16 blog on April 28! I also just finished Easter 3...Although not on the front lines I am much busier than before Covid. Scripture says that "on this rock I will build my church". Which rock exactly is this? I like the titles of a couple books I've read..."Jesus in Bluejeans" and "Christianity must Change or Die". We are to tell all the world about Jesus...evangelize. Rev Theo, your services via blog are wonderful,the music heavenly and I bet you are in bluejeans! You are telling the world and yes, it will be wonderful to see fellow parishioners again but when I can 'go to church' and feel like I am in heaven because of the diverse music in your blog services I wonder how we will top that feeling! Christianity must change or die...Go, tell the world. 'On this rock I will build my church.' You are doing exactly that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yvonne, I appreciate your response! It has been inspiring to see how church has been changing since the buildings closed. I am glad that you are enjoying my services. Also, thank you for the book recommendations. I am jotting them down! PS - I do indeed do my services in blue jeans. :)

      Delete