Friday, July 14, 2023

A Review of the Book "Queer Virtue" by Reverend Elizabeth M Edman


Title: Queer Virtue
Author: Reverend Elizabeth M Edman
Publisher: Beacon Press Books
Year: 2016
167 pages

Based on the tag line on this book, I think I expected more out of it than I got. The writing seemed to be all over the place and there was nothing in it that got me any more excited about Christianity than before I read it.

What I think Edman was trying to do was explain the virtues that the queer community can bring to Christianity as an argument against those who believe that homosexuality and homosexuals have no place in the church. At some points in the book, her discussions did lead that way but she spent a good chunk of the book talking about sex and scandal and not completely linking it to her overall concept.

One issue I particularly had a problem with was her argument that the queer community "must" come out of the closet and be completely out at all times as a way to be visible to the Christian community. She claims that "being out" is the only way to live authentically.

While I understand that living authentically is the healthiest way to live both mentally and spiritually, it is not always safe for people to live visibly queer. There are true dangers out there and sometimes living stealth is the only way to survive. So if Edman means to live out for yourself so that you can be your true self, I understand that and it makes sense. But if she is insisting that everyone needs to be out to the public, then I am hesitant to support her on that matter.

"Queer Virtue" won't be the first book I recommend, but I also won't tell you not to read it. My caution is it needs to be acknowledged that this is only one point of view and should be part of a series of books you read from the queer community. If this is the only book you read about Christianity and 2SLGBTQIA* folx, you will be sorely short-changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment